Town of Somerset

Town of Somerset

History of Town of Somerset

 

 

 

 

 

Although Somerset was originally incorporated as a town in 1906, its history dates back to 1890 when five government scientists purchased a 50 acre parcel of tobacco farmland from the government for the purpose of setting up a residential community.

This land was originally part of the Friendship Tract, a 1713 gift of 3,000 acres to a couple of early Maryland colonists, which is now the basis for the nearby Friendship Heights area.

Somerset elects a mayor and council members, publishes a monthly town journal, and has its own swimming pool, town hall, and tennis courts. It is known for its small town atmosphere and sense of community. Sledding on the Cumberland Avenue hill after a snowfall is a town tradition as are the Fourth of July parade and picnic.

Click here to read more history about the Town of Somerset

Click here to read an article about Somerset in Were We Live section of the Washington Post - July 12th, 2014

Click here to read an interesting article about Great Neighborhoods

Click here to read an article about growing up in the Town of Somerset

Click here to read an article about Women Ruling on the Somerset Town Council

Contact Information

Photo of Phyllis Wiesenfelder Real Estate
Phyllis Wiesenfelder
Long & Foster Real Estate, Inc.
4650 East West Highway
Bethesda MD 20814
Direct: (301)215-6915
Mobile: (301)529-3896
Fax: Office: 301-907-7600